Tag Archives: butterflies
- Stamps –
- Art Foamies – Nathalie Kalbach design – Toledo
- Impression Obsession – Dina Kowal design – Big Butterfly
- Stencil – Stencil Girl S610 – Gwen LaFleur design – Boho Star Circle
- Posca pen – White
- Ranger/Tim Holtz Distress Crayon – Hickory Smoke
- Paper Artsy Fresco paints – Bubble Gum, Chalk, Smurf, Zesty Zing, Pea Coat
- Ranger Archival Ink / Dina Wakley Media – Night
- White foam stickers – American Craft Thickers – Memento White
I created this art journal page as part of Creative Jumpstart 2019. This particular lesson was presented by Tania Ahmed, which I used as a jumping off point. I really enjoyed her approach and highly recommend that anyone interested in mixed media jump into Creative Jumpstart!
My main focal image was a gel print from my stash that I stamped over with the IO butterfly stamp. I so enjoyed Tania’s lesson and all of the layering involved. Thanks for visiting today!
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, distress techniques, Impression Obsession, paperartsy, Ranger, stamping, stencils, tim holtz | posted in Art Journal Page, Creative Jumpstart, mixed media
- Dies –
- Hero Arts Nesting Butterflies Infinity Dies
- Lawn Fawn Outside In Stitched Hearts
- Patterned papers – Authentique Romance collection: Romance Three, Romance Five, Romance Seven
- Stamp – Avery Elle – Love Puffin
- Red gems – Mark Richards – Red Dots 3mm
- Cardstock –
- Bazzill Basics Pink
- Paper Accents Red Glitter
I love these Authentique Valentine papers and layering them is right up my alley. I created a multi-layered butterfly by cutting three butterflies from three different patterns and stacking them. I edged the wings with red ink and then stitched the butterflies in the center (for the body) with embroidery floss, making the head with a french knot. See the photo below for the stitched detail.
I mounted the triple butterfly onto the die-cut heart at an angle with dimensional adhesive and bent the wings up from the center to make the wings look as though the butterfly might take flight.
I then adhered the heart with the butterfly onto the background and in turn, onto the card base. I added the stamped sentiment in the lower-right, peeking out from behind the heart. I finished accenting the card with three red gems vertically down the upper-right side.
Thanks for visiting.
2 Comments | tags: authentique, Avery Elle, butterflies, cardmaking, die cuts, Hero Arts, lawn fawn | posted in Valentine
- Stamps –
- Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz – “Flutter”
- Flourishes LLC – “Botanical Bookplates”
- Embossing folder – Sizzix/Tim Holtz 3D Texture Fades “Botanical”
- Graphic 45 – Floral Shoppe Collection – 12 x 12 Double Sided Paper – “Indigo Lilies”
- Die – Spellbinders Nestabilities “Lacey Ovals”
- Pearls – KaiserCraft – Hot Pink
- Cardstock – Bazzill
I love floral images and butterflies, so this card was a joy to make. The floral paper is gorgeous and comes from an amazing collection from Graphic 45. Combining this paper with the new bling cardstock embossed with the new (to me) botanical embossing folder made for some tasty layers. I colored the butterflies with Distress inks using Ranger’s Detail Blending Tools that allowed me to blend the inks in smaller areas. I fussy-cut the butterflies to retain the antennae and popped them up with dimensional adhesive. I scattered a few pink pearls among the butterflies to tie the colors together. Thanks for visiting.
Challenge: Always Happy Birthday September Challenge – Happy Birthday
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, die cuts, embossing, flora, Flourishes, Graphic45, spellbinders, Stamper's Anonymous | posted in Birthday
- Stampington & Co. Christine Adolph “Ledger Butterfly”
- Spellbinders “Wishing Expressions” stamp and die set
- Die – Spellbinders “Wishing Expressions” stamp and die set
- Tim Holtz Ideaology Collage Paper – Floral
- My handmade collage paper
- Perfect Pearls Mists “Bronze”
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist “Creme de Chocolat”
This is one of my favorite kinds of cards to make: mixed media. I layered my handmade collage tissue paper and some Tim Holtz collage paper onto cardstock with matte gel medium. I stamped the butterfly on a piece of tissue and adhered it with gel medium as well. After the piece dried, I sprayed it with the metallic inks and also inked the edges with black ink. I then added the die cut word and stamped sentiment and put the card together. Thanks for visiting.
Happy Little Stampers August Mixed Media Challenge – Words
Everybody-Art-Challenge #429 – Say it in words
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, die cuts, flora, mixed media, spellbinders, stamping, stampington & company | posted in Birthday, Happy Little Stampers, mixed media, Uncategorized
- Stamps –
- Stampendous Laurel Burch “Cling Flutterbye”
- The Cat’s Pajamas “Simply Said”
- Embossing folder – Elizabeth Crafts “Damask”
- White embossing powder – Stampendous
- Pentel Sparkle Pop pens
- Sakura Gelly Roll pens
- Kraft cardstock
- Bling cardstock
This was a fun card to make. I started by heat embossing the butterfly stamp with white embossing powder onto Kraft cardstock. Then I colored it with metallic gel pens for a nice shine. Once completed, I fussy cut the butterfly out and popped it up on the embossed kraft panel with dimensional adhesive. I heat embossed the sentiment with white powder onto black. I matted the kraft panel and the sentiment onto shiny blue panels and then mounted the whole thing onto a white card base. Thanks for visiting today.
Challenge: Creative With Stamps Challenge #25 CAS + Sentiment
3 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, Cat's Pajamas, clean and simple stamping, embossing, stampendous, stamping | posted in Birthday, Challenges, Clean & Simple, Coloring
- Stamps –
- Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection “Entomology”
- Simon Says Stamp “Happy & Smile”
- Dies – Sizzix “Royal Flip-its”
- Patterned papers – Graphic45 “Nature Sketchbook” 8 X 8″ paper pad
- Embossing powder – Lindy’s Stamp Gang “Twilight Jade Slate”
- Cardstock – Bazzill
I believe this card is technically called a flip card, although I’ve also seen it referred to as a flop card! I wouldn’t call it a flop–I’ve made much worse cards! Anyhoo, it is constructed so that when you open it up the butterfly on the front flips and the sentiment is behind it. You can get the idea in the photo below.
I heat-embossed the moth on the front with a subtly iridescent powder, which isn’t overly evident in the top photo. This Graphic45 paper collection is so pretty, it was hard to choose which patterns to use! I’ve been coveting it for a long time! But I really was drawn to the greens of these two papers. Thanks for visiting.
Crafty Gal’s Corner – Challenge #161 – Make it Green
Double “D” Challenges Blog – Just Wing it
6 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, clean and simple stamping, die cuts, embossing, flora, sizzix, Stamper's Anonymous, stamping, tim holtz | posted in Anniversary, Challenges, Uncategorized
- Dies –
- Sizzix Tim Holtz Detailed Butterfly Thinlit dies
- Sizzix Tim Holtz Tag Collection Framelit dies
- Stencils – Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Layering Stencils: Diamonds (THS081), Flourish (THS032)
- Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Wrap – Postale
- Ranger Texture Paste
- Dictionary paper
- Napkin – Michel Design Works “Wisteria” cocktail napkin
- Ornate metal corners
- Distress Oxide inks – Broken China, Cracked Pistachio, Faded Jeans, Worn Lipstick, and Black Soot
- Ranger Perfect Pearls mist – Bronze
I worked on these tags over quite an extensive period of time: layering, drying, analyzing… They were a lot of fun to make though. I cut the tags from a Tim Holtz die set that I’ve had for years and comes in handy because I can make lots of different sizes with it. I made backgrounds on the larger two tags using Distress Oxide inks in blues. Then I added torn butterflies from the napkin applying them with gel medium.
Because I was layering the tag pairs, I added more details on the smaller ones as they would be most visible. I started by collaging torn dictionary paper and Tim Holtz tissue wrap with gel medium onto the gessoed tag surface. I then applied texture paste through stencils. Once that was dry, I layered Distress Oxide ink (Worn Lipstick) over the top and distressed the edges of the small tags with the Tonic Studios paper distressing tool. I added some spritzes of Perfect Pearls mist to add some sheen.
I used more Distress Inks for the butterfly layers, the base layer in blues and Worn Lipstick and the top layer with Black Soot. I then die-cut the black layer and placed it over the base layer so just the center of the body was attached and the wings stick up. I colored the white ribbon with distress ink for a perfect match and tied the two tags together.
Thanks for visiting. It was fun investing time and experimentation into these tags!
Challenge: Happy Little Stampers November Mixed Media Challenge: Tags
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, die cuts, distress techniques, Ranger, Stamper's Anonymous, stencils, tim holtz | posted in Distress Techniques, Happy Little Stampers, mixed media, Tags
- Stamps – Penny Black “Butterfly Trio”
- Die – Technique Tuesday “Crocus” set
- Enamel dots – Teresa Collins Designs
- Zig Clean Color markers
- Watercolor paper
After stamping the butterflies onto watercolor paper, I began watercoloring the background for this card using ink from the Zig Clean Color markers and a waterbrush. I added layers of color until I was happy with the look. Then I colored the butterflies with the markers and waterbrush as well, and added the die-cut and dots. Thanks for visiting.
Challenge: Happy Little Stampers October Watercolour Challenge
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, clean and simple stamping, die cuts, penny black, stamping, watercolor | posted in General Cards, Happy Little Stampers, Uncategorized
- Stamps –
- Stampendous Laurel Burch “Indigo Cats”
- Justrite Papercraft, Inc. “Winged Vintage Labels Two & Three”
- Stencil – from Stampendous Laurel Burch “Indigo Cats” set
- Dies – Stampendous Laurel Burch “Indigo Cats”
- Ranger Texture paste – transparent matte
- Ranger Distress Oxide inks: Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers, Faded Jeans, Broken China
- Ranger Wendy Vecchi Mica ink spray – Buttercup
- Copic markers
- Sequins – Doodlebug Designs
- Bristol and Cardstock
This is a card I entered in the Oregon State Fair Paper Arts competition and it won a first place in the mixed media category. Yay, me! I spent a lot of time layering the Distress Oxide inks and texture paste. The stamp set comes with a stencil that I used, that matches the geometric shapes in the cat stamps. I added the mica spray ink for some shine and contrast. I colored the cat and butterflies with Copic markers, attached them to the background and finished if off with sequins to repeat the yellow from the spray. I really enjoyed making this card and playing with such a variety of media. Thanks for visiting.
Challenge: Crafty Awesomeness Challenge September 2017
1 Comment | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, copics, die cuts, fauna, Ranger, stampendous, stamping, stencils, tim holtz | posted in Challenges, General Cards, mixed media, Uncategorized
- Stencil – Stencil Girl Products S319 – “Scribble Blooms”
- Stamp – Hero Arts CL342 “Everyday Sayings”
- Butterflies – unknown origin
- Border punch – EK Success
- Inks – Ranger Distress Oxide inks: Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Worn Lipstick
- Cardstock – Bazzill and BoBunny
The background for this card was made with Distress Oxide inks applied through a stencil with a sponge applicator. I spritzed the stenciled image with water. I distressed the stamped sentiment with ink as well.
This is a card for the Things with Wings Challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog. Thanks for stopping by.
2 Comments | tags: butterflies, cardmaking, distress techniques, Hero Arts, Simon Says Stamp, stamping, stencils, tim holtz | posted in Challenges, Distress Techniques, General Cards